Excursion to the Ninotsminda Cathedral
Ninotsminda Cathedral was built in the VI century AD and is one of the three oldest temples in Georgia, is the second built in the form of tetrakonkh and direct ancestor of Jvari temple. Beginning construction of the cathedral dates back to 575, shortly before laying the first stone in the wall of the widely known Jvari temple.
In the XVI century, the inner part of the walls are painted with frescoes, which have partially survived to this day, and in the neighborhood is erected a chapel.
In 1750, then the Georgian bishop Saava Tusishvili, decided to rebuild the dome, which is very transformed the appearance of the temple, but did not like the king Irakli II. And for good reason. The dome became too big and heavy, and could not survive the earthquake of 1824. This was the beginning of the end and led to the almost total destruction of the cathedral in 1848. After these grim events, only the part of the cathedral that we can see today survived. The eastern wall and the altar part of the structure. In the 19th century a well-preserved brick church was added to the complex.
The entire territory of the complex is enclosed by a massive stone wall, which once served as a reliable protection for the bishop located inside. The Bishop’s Palace was built in 1774-1777 The building is only two stories high and looks quite modest for such a high-profile title. Go there are not allowed to, because now there is a convent of St. Nina.